Ever wonder why you work better in environments where your superiors are supportive and give praise?
Through advances in neuroscience, we are able to see inside the brains and minds of people while they are experiencing different emotions. What astounds scientists is the dramatically different ‘brain landscape’ for people who are in fear states, compared to those who are in states of joy and happiness.
Once a person has been triggered by fear – let’s say from an angry boss – a cascade of neurochemicals starts in the lower brain and literally spews out into the rest of the brain – telling them to move into hyper-gear to protect the person from harm.
This triggered reaction is not momentary – it is sustained over a half-life of 13 hours or a full life of 26. If a leader continues to irritate, embarrass or outrage the employee during the next period of time, the cortisol and associated chemistry continues its cascade and the person is now, not just in a moment of fear, but in a prolonged state of fear.
Parts of the brain needed for thinking, empathy, and getting along with others are now closing down and the person is being driven into strategies for self-protection. This person needs to find solace with others to alleviate their fear and pain – and so begins their journey to find comfort from others who care.
How productive do you think this person is now?
Most leaders don’t realize that punishment and embarrassment to get people to perform, is not only an outdated strategy for employee motivation, it is a harmful strategy with both short-term and long-term unexpected consequences.
Inspired leaders would be further inspiring if they understood the neurochemistry of motivation – how praise and support can unlock the neurochemical patterns that also cascade chemistry throughout the brain. This powerful and almost drug-like dopamine state that comes from appropriate, honest and well-deserved praise will set into place a pattern of intrinsic motivation that will open up new pathways for the employee to access new skills and talents.
Want to learn more?
Conversational Intelligence® is a revolutionary coaching methodology developed by Dr. Judith E Glaser, that allows you to leverage the power of neuroscience to create rapid, transformational shifts with your clients and employees.
Judith will be opening the doors to her 90-minute Immersion Experience on this powerful body of work – at no cost!
This is a hugely anticipated event in our industry and seats are filling up fast.
Make sure to register now so you don’t miss out and have the benefit of picking your preferred time slot.
By the end of the workshop, you will be able to understand and redefine what conversations are, why neuroscience plays such a significant role and how you as a coach can immediately implement these insights with your clients to create sustainable change.
Register for the workshop at no cost below and join me on this journey of using the power of neuroscience to revolutionize the way we interact as human beings.
- The neurochemistry behind conversations which enables you and your clients to quickly establish an environment of trust and connection – with individuals, teams and entire organizations.
- Profound frameworks and questions to activate the parts of the brain that trigger high engagement, trust and innovation – including specific tools and methodologies to share with your clients so they can create sustaining and healthy conversations at work and in life.
- The Epigenetics of Conversations and how we transcribe new patterns and neuropathways in our brains through frameworks you can use right away to create a healthy culture through conversations for yourself and your clients.
- The exact tools Judith used to take her client Clairol from being a $250 million company to selling to P&G for $4.95 billion within less than a decade.
- The Conversational Dashboard that allows you to identify conversation styles of your clients and take them from resisting and skeptical to high levels of trust and co-creation.
- The Up- and Downregulating Framework that helps you as a coach to regulate your clients’ (and your own) own bio-reactions during even the most challenging leadership situations.
- The 3 levels of conversations – What they are. Why they matter. And how to coach your clients to accessing the most impactful and effective communication as a leader by moving to level 3 conversations.
- How to shift leaders with a strong point of view away from “being addicted to being right” and arguing back and forth to avoid and resolve conflict by asking Discovery and Innovation questions.
- How to become part of a global community of coaches co-creating a movement to revolutionize the way we communicate, connect and interact as human beings.